7 Different Types of A Personal Protective Equipment and Their Uses
In medical, many medical equipments are used for the personal protection of the doctors, nurses, patients, and other people related to it. These equipments provide an overall physical protection to them, so that they won't hurt during the surgery, operations or other medical processes. They also act as a barrier to prevent the causing of infections and diseases between the ill-person and the operator, i.e., doctor or nurse. The use of PPE (Personal Protective Equipments) has increased in the past two to three years due to the harsh conditions that occurred in COVID-19. During the COVID, masks were made mandatory to be worn by every person with proper social distancing of atleast 6 feet. Some of the personal protective equipments used for medical purposes are mentioned below :
1) Masks - A mask is a protective layer wear over the face to protect it from the harmful germs, dust and reduce the risks of infection that may cause among the healthcare workers. The most commonly used type of mask is 'surgical mask' which reduces the risk of wound infections after surgical processes.
Buy here: https://www.ahpmedicals.com/categories/infection-control/face-masks.html
2) Safety Glasses - The lenses of the safety glasses are made up of materials like polycarbonate or propionate plastics and are shatter-resistant. They prevent eye damage and risks of injuries to the eyes.
3) Surgical Medical Gowns - The surgical medical Gowns are worn during the operations for infection protection, incontinence management and to provide a barrier between the patient and the doctor or nurse.
4) Overshoes - They are non-woven in nature and of ankle type and help in keeping the environment germs-free, hygienic and free of chemicals.
5) Face Visor - The disposable face visors are used to cover all parts of the mouth, i.e., eyes, ears, nose, skin, lips. They also provide a higher level of protection from the dirt, pollution, germs, disease causing microorganisms to the wearer.
6) Gloves - Gloves are worn during surgeries by the doctors and the nurses to avoid direct contact with the sick person. They also prevent the germs and the disease causing microorganisms to enter in the body with the help of hands directly.
7) Respirators - They are worn over the mouth to prevent the infectious germs from entering the nose and causing harm later.
Usages of PPE
Protecting health care workers against COVID-19 : During COVID-19, PPE was in use mostly to protect the doctors, nurses and other healthcare workers against the spread of COVID-19 or its symptoms from the patients they were treating upon.
Maintenance of PPE
The personal protective equipments require a proper maintenance. They can't be treated as like the daily casual clothings. One can't even wash them with daily-use clothes in the same machinery. There should be a separate laundry for these. They should be washed and dried with proper care as some of them are plastics as a whole and can even torn if not handled with care. The used medical gowns should be bleached if required and that too separately, not with other equipments. Disposable equipments should not be used twice, just throw them after using once for a while.